Saturday, August 2, 2014

A doting father


I decided to write about various human relationships around me..these stories are recollections of various interactions in my life. The first story is about my dad... My dad used to travel back and forth to my village from Vijayawada which was about 30 KMs from Vijayawada. Every evening, he used to come back by 8:00 p.m. He never said anything, but, today I understand that he wanted those few minutes with us before we went to bed. I used to eat before 8:00 p.m. and goto bed by 8:30 p.m. No matter what. He used to sit down for dinner and mix either some curry or Avakai pachchadi and give me two balls (telugu - Muddalu) of anything he ate. My sister always used to be awake and never slept without eating dinner with my dad. After I grew up, I have recollected that my dad (although he is the male of the family) never ate before us. He used to let the children finish our dinner and then eat with my mom. It is very customary of our generation that men ate first and got the best part of food...My dad allways used to make sure that we got the best of what was there... He knew everything that was happenning in school with our friends, teachers, etc. He never asked enquired a single day about anything that was happenning.I allways wanted to learn being away and giving the space for children and yet knowing everything and being there for children...

No comments:

Post a Comment